Friday 9 May 2014

The Business of Politics

In 2004, I contested for the Assembly elections. My background and experience led me to this decision.  I represented the Samajwadi Party in the Opera House constituency against the Congress heavyweight Kishen Jadhav and Arvind Nerkar of the Shiv Sena. At the time I believed the Samajwadi party was the only party which gave a chance to the young, inexperienced candidate. 

Our country had a 25 per cent youth population at the time but their representation in the political arena was an appalling state.

I mortgaged my house for loans to start the city's first nightclub 'Fire N Ice' and cabbed it to the nightclub every day for 18 months till I bought my first car, a Cielo. After sweating it out and struggling hard for five years I was finally able to release my property and buy my first Firebird, a red covertible!

I have a successful brand name and have established myself in the hospitality industry and it was in this profession that I realized that our leaders make their own decisions and there is noone to listen to our demands. We would often write to the government but never get any response.

When I encountered troubles with licenses and deadlines, I started contemplating being on the other side. A couple of meetings with the stalwarts in the industry made me realize that not many were interested in taking this step. So I volunteered.

It wasn't easy though! Everyone feared for my reputation as noone looks at politicians in a kindly light. My parents even urged me to get married since noone will be willing to marry me after I ventured into politics (I thought that was most hilarious).

My slogan for the election was "Invest in our youth and secure their future". I wanted to inspire the youth to come forward and involve themselves in policy decisions, and infuse a fresh perspective to the functioning of the state. 

There was no religious propaganda for me, only civic and youth issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment